Our Health Library information does not replace the advice of a doctor. Please be advised that this information is made available to assist our patients to learn more about their health. Our providers may not see and/or treat all topics found herein.
High Blood Pressure
Learn about high blood pressure
Blood pressure is a measure of how hard the blood pushes against the walls of your arteries as it moves through your body. Your blood pressure naturally goes up and down throughout the day. But if your blood pressure stays up, you have high blood pressure, or hypertension. When blood pressure is high, it causes damage to your blood vessel walls that gets worse over time. This increases your risk for heart disease, stroke, and kidney problems.
Having high blood pressure is serious, but there is good news. There are many ways to manage blood pressure. Our topics cover lifestyle changes that can lower blood pressure, such as eating better, being active, and losing weight. You will also learn how to check your blood pressure at home and weigh the pros and cons of taking medicine to lower your blood pressure.
Get the information you need in our high blood pressure topics, such as:
- Angiotensin II Receptor Blockers (ARBs)
- Angiotensin-Converting Enzyme (ACE) Inhibitors
- Arturo's Story: Getting Support for Making a Change
- Automated Ambulatory Blood Pressure Monitoring
- Blood Pressure Numbers: When to Get Help
- Blood Pressure Screening
- Cirrhosis: Beta-Blockers for Portal Hypertension and Varices
- Coronary Artery Disease and Alcohol
- DASH Diet Sample Menu
- Heart-Healthy Eating
- Heart-Healthy Eating: Fish
- Heart-Healthy Lifestyle
- High Blood Pressure
- High Blood Pressure During Pregnancy
- High Blood Pressure in Children and Teens
- High Blood Pressure: Nutrition Tips
- High Blood Pressure: Over-the-Counter Medicines to Avoid
- Home Blood Pressure Log
- Hypertensive Emergency
- Isolated Systolic High Blood Pressure
- Izzy's Story: Living With the DASH Diet
- Preeclampsia: Checkups and Monitoring
- Pregnancy and Chronic High Blood Pressure
- Secondary High Blood Pressure
- Sodium Record
- Tyrell's Story: Taking Pills for High Blood Pressure
To learn more about Healthwise, visit Healthwise.org.
© 1995-2022 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.